Senior Advisor, Institutional Data and Analytics
1. JOB PURPOSE
The purpose of this post is to strengthen IPPF’s data culture to increase organizational effectiveness and performance.
The post holder will provide global technical leadership in data management and analytics, including modelling.
2. KEY TASKS
- Lead the development and implementation of IPPF’s Data Management strategy, in partnership with multiple IPPF stakeholders
- Provide training workshops and technical assistance to Secretariat and Member Association staff on data management processes and systems
- Lead the development of innovative data collection and management systems, including mobile technology, to reduce data collection and reporting burden
- Produce manuals, guidelines, ‘how to’ documentation (using approaches including videos, webinars and others) on data management processes and systems
- Support the expansion of DHIS2 as IPPF’s data warehouse for all performance-related datasets, including performance data related to restricted projects
- Liaise with Knowledge Information Systems and Technology (KIST) Unit; make development recommendations and support implementation of systems related to data management
Impact measurement and strategic utilization of data
- Develop forecasting/modelling programmes to expand use of IPPF’s institutional data; this will involve working in partnership with experts on impact measurement
- Develop user-friendly data analytics and visualization programmes, using available business intelligence solutions, to support data-driven decision making by end-users in multiple teams (Advocacy, Programmes, Resource Mobilization and New Business Development, and others) to empower and enable data users, and maximize strategic use of data
- Support the development and use of GIS/mapping data and analytics for decision making
- Develop successful proposals to finance data management initiatives
- Develop and sustain working relationships with external partners and expert working groups on data management systems
- Oversee and support the annual institutional data review process, and the production of IPPF’s Annual Performance Report, including the analysis and proofreading of IPPF’s performance results
- To ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the remit of the post and in line with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy.
- To build and maintain positive working relationships with all members of staff and contacts both within and outside the Federation.
- To become familiar with the Federation’s Health & Safety Programme guidelines. To do everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time.
The post holder will supervise the Data Analyst position (based in London).
This post holder will need to influence and work effectively with multiple stakeholders across IPPF, as well as with external consultants and organizations.
Management/supervision of external consultants on data management systems development and implementation.
Acts on behalf of the Director, Organizational Learning and Evaluation.
b) financial responsibilities carried out by the job holder.
No financial responsibilities, but required to create and monitor budgets.
c) advisory responsibilities carried out by the job holder.
Advises CO Senior Team; Director, Organizational Learning and Evaluation; IPPF Secretariat and Member Associations. Act as key liaison with KIST Unit. Will represent IPPF
4. EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
A postgraduate, to at least Masters level, in the field of public health, demography, health economics, health informatics or similar.
Education and/or training qualifications in statistical analysis, modelling, data management/science, health informatics.
5. PROVEN ABILITY
- Advanced application in data management systems and analytics
- Advanced application modelling approaches
- Advanced application of health informatics, health information management processes, technologies and architecture
- Experience in writing operating procedures, manuals, technical guidelines, or online content for e-learning materials
- Strong people management skills to manage staff and consultants.
- Experience in supporting and working with remote colleagues, and providing training to a diverse, multilingual and multicultural group of stakeholders
- Experience in proposal development and track record of success in fundraising
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health; clinical experience advantageous
- Excellent statistical analysis skills, including advanced level in statistical and modelling packages
- Excellent IT and health informatic skills; familiarity with DHIS2 desirable (or willingness to learn)
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills – articulate and diplomatic, able to explain complex analytical processes to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to interact with, coach, train and present to diverse, multicultural and multilingual groups
- Excellent written communication skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills required to multitask and to meet tight deadlines
- Fluent English; French desirable
7. PERSONAL COMPETENCE
- Strategic; logical and analytical thinker; problem-solver
- Self-motivator, results-driven
- Cultural sensitivity and a strong commitment to social justice and the mission of IPPF
- Willing to undertake international travel – up to 40 days each year