Work With Us
Program Officer | Safe Abortion & Advocacy
The Program Officer will provide technical support to our Member Associations and civil society partners to strengthen innovative national advocacy initiatives that achieve legal and political changes to increase access to safe and legal abortion. As part of a three-year project, the Program Officer will monitor and support the implementation of projects in six countries in Latin America and the Caribbean that demand implementation of existing policies and government accountability for safe and legal abortion.
IPPF/WHR is a recognized leader in the international movement to ensure access to sexual and reproductive health care as a human right for all. In partnership with 40 Member Associations in the Americas and the Caribbean, we provide nearly 33 million services a year and work to secure government policies that improve people's lives.
IPPF/WHR pioneered the introduction of family planning services in Latin America and the Caribbean. We developed innovative and effective strategies for meeting the sexual and reproductive health needs of women, men, and young people in the region. IPPF/ WHR continues to respond to the tremendous need for contraceptive services, while also addressing a range of issues that have an impact on sexual and reproductive health, such as HIV/AIDS, gender-based violence, and unsafe abortion. Learn more at www.ippfwhr.org.
- • Assist with the coordination of a regional task force, including organizing regional-level meetings and workshops and representing IPPF/WHR in regional groups and coalitions..
- Increase capacity to develop and implement effective tools, methodologies, and new strategies for advancing progressive public policies.
- • Facilitate the documentation and dissemination of best practices and lessons learned in building the capacity of sexual and reproductive health organizations to advocate for safe and legal abortion.
- • Monitor country-level activities and provide onsite and remote technical support to our Member Associations and civil society partners.
- • Maintain relationships with key regional partners and advocacy networks and develop new partnerships.
- • Prepare presentations, abstracts, grant proposals, and donor reports as needed.
- • Support the Director of Programs and MA Finance Senior Officer with financial management of restricted project funds.
- • Write articles and technical publications as requested.
- • Master's degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Law, Political Science, Public Health, or relevant field.
- • 5+ years of experience working with organizations on advocacy initiatives with a strong emphasis on governance and transparency.
- • Strong knowledge of and commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights, especially in the Latin American and Caribbean context.
- • Proven ability in project management and coordination.
- • Experience designing, planning, and implementing sexual and reproductive health and rights advocacy efforts.
- • Experience working on the issue of safe abortion a plus.
- • Advanced oral and written skills in Spanish and English is required.
- • Essential traits include being systematic, organized, detail- and deadline-oriented, self-motivated, diplomatic, strategic, and able to work well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
LOCATION: Latin America/Caribbean
30-40% of travel is required in the United States and internationally.
COMPENSATION: $60,000 - $65,000
Please send your resume and cover letter to Barry Goldklang, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
IPPF/WHR is committed to equal opportunities and cultural diversity. Applications are encouraged from people living with HIV/AIDS.